Video spectral system VSS for space experiments
The Video Spectral System is used at the Russian segment of the International Space Station.
The Video Spectral System is designed for monitoring of the earth’s surface, investigation of natural resources, natural and anthropogenic objects from space and aircraft carriers. These are fundamentally new opportunities in the world practice of the operator-controlled video systems of remote sensing.
The Video Spectral System VSS is designed for:
1. hyperspectral spectrometry of the reflected radiation of the underlying surfaces in the wavelength range from 400 to 950 nm.
2. obtaining of digital imaging spatially related to spectrometry areas in the visible wavelength range.
The Video Spectral System is designed as a portable autonomous monoblock, which includes basic unit, lens unit, storage battery unit, monitor unit, installation bracket, control and test equipment and special software.
Classification of objects of the earth's surface (the definition of their parameters) can be carried out using a large number (several hundred) of spectra. The use of a large amount of data allows one to apply multispectral analysis methods, which not only significantly improves the accuracy of the objects’ classification, but also provides many other advantages, among which are the following:
• Improves the accuracy of determination of the objects’ parameters.
• In the process of determination of the objects’ parameters the system allows the use of empirically established correlation (regression) dependences of the parameters of the objects on reflection characteristics in certain narrow spectral bands.
- Ministry of Emergency Situations;
- State Property Committee;
- Ministry of Forestry;
- Ministry of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection, etc.
- Control of state of the atmosphere over the cities, detection of anthropogenic emissions at the industrial enterprises and spread of "dust-salt" storms, determination of smoke plumes, localization of smoke formation sources and evaluation of plumes’ blur.
- Monitoring of the snow cover, as an indicator of air pollution.
- Efficient space monitoring of oil spills.
- Monitoring of forest and peat-bog fires.
- Farmland inventory, control of crop conditions, determination of the areas with erosion, waterlogging, salinization and desertification of soils.
- Customized production (according to the technical specifications required by the customer)
- Sale of a production license
- Joint production
- Joint research
- Improvement of the system